I kinda wanted to go over my first days after my first chemo so if anyone is getting ready to go through this or just wants to know what it feels like, can kinda get an idea of what I went through.
The day of chemo, I didn't really feel much other than a stomach ache. I got home and immediately took my Kytril to be sure I didn't start feeling nauseated. The stomach pain felt like your stomach hurts when you have the stomach flu. I never did throw up or feel really nauseated...it was only the stomach pain. That night, I was so restless and could not sleep!! My legs twitched and felt aggravated. I felt like I wanted to get up and walk around..just couldn't be still! I don't think I slept but two hours that night! I guess it was all the steriods!
The next day was nothing really more...still stomach pain. No real nausea except here and there. I would feel a twinge of nausea but it would go away. I took my nausea meds around the clock on this day as well, just to be sure.
Friday, was about the same...I pretty much felt okay except my stomach still hurt and now I was a little constipated. I felt a little tired but pretty much okay other than that.
Saturday, I woke up feeling a little tired but decided that I could work. After work, I went to go do something in the kitchen, and something came over me...I don't even know how to describe how bad it was!! I was so weak and felt so weird!! I was dizzy, light-headed and nauseated! I could barely stand. I have never felt so bad in my life! Normally when I feel bad or am sick, I can push through and keep going to a certain extent but with this, it was impossible! I could not do anything!! If I tried, I would feel like I was going to pass out! I got so upset and worried, thinking if this is how every day becomes, I can't do it! I ended up just having to take my nausea meds and going to bed.
I woke up Sunday (Easter morning). I still felt a little weird but not as bad. I was nauseated so I took my nausea meds and then was mostly okay through the day. I still felt kinda weak but not nearly like I did the day before!
The following week was a chemo free week so day-by-day, things started to improve!! I started feeling more energetic and was able to stop taking nausea meds for the most part. One night, I did have some nerve stuff going on in my feet and hands. Two of my toes on both feet kept tingling and so did my fingers. This caused me to not be able to rest well because my legs were also restless.
Towards the end of the week, the constipation turned to diarrhea and the stomach pain got worse. My family doc prescibed me Prilosec and the stomach pain started getting better. I quit feeling nauseated at all and have not had to take meds. The diarrhea calmed down over the weekend and things slowed back down.
Over the weekend, my scalp started feeling really irritated. It burned some and itched lots. Last night, it really bothered me! I couldn't sleep because of it. My scalp felt like I had left it in a tight pony tail all day and just taken it down..ladies you know that feeling! I guess my hair is about to go because from what I have read, this is the first sign.
Other than that, the two weeks haven't been too bad...I am not naive to think it will always go this way! But, I am so glad that it wasn't any worse!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Jen, I would honestly say that you are probably one of the bravest women I know right now.... My heart goes out to you and the boys. But I know God has a ministry in this life lesson... And honestly I can't wait to see the other side of this!
ReplyDeleteWow Jen.. I had no idea you had this till Lissy told me the other day... I cannot believe it!!
ReplyDeleteReading everything you are writing so much of it sounds very alike to Marks dialysis in many ways. Different diseases required different treatments of course, but much of it is very similiar.
OK the night time restless legs, and it isn't just that feeling of restless legs, it's the twitching and the stabby little pains and non of it will go away until you HAVE to move.. The tingly fuzzy itchy feeling in the feet.. Having a heated wheat bag on your feet when going to bed helps to ease that. Mark would get all that from the drugs and I get it severely because of the fibromyalgia.. What helps is having some phenergen before going to bed.. The only I don't like with the phenergen is it makes me feel pretty crappy when I wake up in the morning and makes my eyes feel really heavy and swollen when waking up.
Wow Jen, talk about blowin me out! I just can't believe it! But I am lovin that you are doing your best to walk high and doing the best you can to stay positive and laugh in it's face.
Love ya Girlie!
By the way, Jen-- I got in touch with Jo and updated her some and gave her the link... ;) Love you, girl! And my boys... You're in my prayers...
ReplyDelete