Thursday, April 15, 2010

Second Chemo Round

Well, I first had to go to the hospital to get some blood drawn for my Thyroid levels. My doctor thought they would be able to draw from my port but when I got there, the lab tech told me they were not trained and only a trained RN could do it. So she drew from my hand and it went right in, didn't hurt at all, BUT when I got to the Cancer Center for chemo, it had a huge knot full of blood and was a mess!!


Went in early for chemo. They went on and took me back quickly so I was glad I got there early. I went in the lab first to get more blood drawn. I showed her the hand that was all messed up and she got me an ice bag and drew the blood out of my arm.

I was then taken back to the office to wait on the doctor (didn't think I would see him every time but was told I would). First the nurse came in and took my vitals and asked how I was doing had I experienced side effects, etc.

The Physician's assistant came in to see me and she was so nice! They brought my blood work results in and she said my white cell count had dropped a little but was holding strong so we could continue with chemo. They then brought in my other test results and she said my blood sugar was a little high and would need to be monitored. She said, "You sure don't need to be diabetic with all you already have to deal with!!" I totally agreed!! She took a look at my arms...Ya see every since I can remember, I have broken out really badly in spring all over my arms...just found out the other night that it is sun sensitivity!! She gave me some Hydrocortisone cream to put on it twice a day and told me to stay outta the sun!!

Next, my doctor came in and he asked how I was doing! He said overall it sounded like things were going great. The conversation was pretty short. I had him fill out a form for me to get some financial help...the Lymphoma society gives $150 a year to those with Hodgkins who are being actively treated...every bit helps right now!!

The doctor took me back to the now familiar chemo room and it was once again slam full...so sad that so many people are suffering!!! I had to wait there again...they came and got me shortly and took me to another room...I wasn't thrilled about this room...It had three chemo chairs, not divided..so you were right on top of one another! There was only one TV too.

They soon came to start my drips for predrugs. She cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my port area...I swear that I hate that smell!! Both times it has made me so sick!! She then got the numbing spray out and I told her I wanted to see how it felt putting the needle in without the spray. It wasn't too bad though it did sting a little! She then taped me down with that nasty smelling plastic tape..very strong smells!!This time I was able to see what I was being given! They gave me a bag of Decradon and then a syringe full of Zofran and once again had me swallow the two Tylenol. Soon after that, the nurse came and got me and took me back to the regular chemo room with the dividers and my own TV so I was happy!

About this time, I met Morgan! Morgan is about 175 pounds and solid black with the most soulful eyes!! She is a therapy dog! A huge Great Dane and she came around to everyone to say hello. I wish I had my camera and could have gotten a pic...maybe next time I will see her again. She came and let me pet her twice and they would tell her to speak and she would. It was a special time..

I looked and once again those two lonely hats were sitting there...I got a little sad again thinking of their owners and why they hadn't come back to claim them....but I thought, "No!" I am gonna imagine the best instead of the worst! I am gonna just imagine that they left them there because they were cured and never had to come back....I sure hope someone claims those hats soon!!

Soon, the fun began....the red one went in first...I think she sat and put it in for about 15 minutes but I am not sure. Didn't really feel anything at this point again, just had the nasty, salty taste from the saline. I waited about 20 or 30 minutes and she came with the next drug....the Vinblastine...it was uneventful too....by this time I was eating my lunch and it was pretty good...I had a chicken salad with ranch dressing, a roll and a little cup of strawberry icecream so I was happy!

I looked around and didn't recognize anyone from the last time....just other poor Cancer victims, some bent over and really sick, some seeming to be ok....just a mix, I guess! No one was thrilled to be there, that you could tell!!

Then the nurse came with the Bleomycin and I didn't really feel anything with that either...about twenty minutes later came the bad one...the DACARBAZINE!!! Immediately my stomach started hurting but didn't seem to hurt as much as the last time!But, my jawline started going numb...just tingling here and there..nothing major, just annoying!

When this finally got done after 40 minutes of dripping..the nurse came and took out the needle from my port and held pressure on it really good for a couple of minutes and sent me on my way...I was so ready to go home!! I had been there about 6 hours and was so tired out!!!

On the way home, the face numbness got really worse!!! It was spreading all over my face and was just horrible!! It felt like tiny bugs crawling all over my face...I couldn't stand it!!! It was still doing it about six hours later! I called my doctor and they had him call me...he called me right back and I told him what was going on with my face. He said he had never heard of that with any patients but that chemo did weird things sometimes! He said if it got worse to go to the ER and he would call me in the morning and have me come in if it hadn't gone away!!

I was up most of the night, it just would not stop and was driving me nuts!! I could not stand it...finally it stopped about 4:00am!!! Over 13 hours of a face-numbing nightmare!!! I was so relieved it was gone and has not come back so I didn't have to go in. I had a lot of people praying last night and I know the Lord took care of me!! I pray that never happens again, it was so scary and so annoying!!

So that was my adventures in chemo land story....soon we will be talking hair loss...my hair is slowly coming out, actually, pretty badly today!! Every time I run my fingers through my hair, about 15 come out in my hands so it's not gonna be long!!

My sweet husband came up to me with a pen and drew a little sweet smiley face on my port bandage!! That just was so sweet to me and so I had him take a pic so I could share it with you guys.


Will be back soon with more info...thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment